My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sexandsecondlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tipping: Not only for cows

When you work in the entertainment sector in second life, you do it mostly and mainly because you enjoy socializing and more specifically in the case of second life DJs, because you love sharing your unique view and taste of music with those who are willing to listen.

Tips of course are always expected and wanted, but are not the life force that moves a DJ to go the extra mile to please the crowds during a set -at least not in my particular case-, but there are kinds of people out there and they all have their own unique working ethics; some will ask for a salary on top of tips to DJ at your club.

Then there are moments in your professional life when you are asked to DJ private events -a rezz day party, a wedding, and so on-, this is always good because it means that you are doing a good job and word of mouth is working for your own benefit, and these events are most of the time, paid aside with the agreement on both parties to either let you accept tips or not.

A friend and also SL DJ was asked to do a private event last night, I won't go into further details because those are really irrelevant to the article, but what happened to him was in my opinion the worst tipping protocol a person can undergo during a party. There were around 30 people dancing and listening and during the two hours the event went on, not a single person tipped him; it would have been a total loss if it hadn't been for the lone fact that he had been paid to be there to begin with.

Let's go over the tipping protocol once more, you are NOT expected to tip, but they are ALWAYS appreciated; don't tip anything under 10 L$, if that's all you have keep it and come back when you have more to spare and focus on enjoying the music. If you make a request, always tip no matter the amount, it shows the DJ your appreciation for the work she or he has put in not only finding your song and playing it as soon as is humanly possible.

"it's not good to make people feel obligated to do that which isn't an obligation" Skylar Silent, but some loving to the hard working staff is always welcomed.

https://www.facebook.com/spikecls

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At February 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the flip side, if you DO tip someone and they don't acknowledge it within reasonable time (30 mins) or ever and they don't have crash history surrounding tip notification, what do you do then?

 
At February 26, 2012 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Spike Clémenceau-Silent said...

You don't tip them anymore... very simple

 
At February 26, 2012 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Bock McMillan said...

Exactly, I totally agree with you Spike in what you wrote and in your answer to Avacars question!

 
At February 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM , Blogger DJ InsyX said...

Yeah I kinda always look at my tip jar after I crash (which is rare), but when I do crash I check my tipper to see if a name has changed or the amount went up. I also make it a habbit of checking my balance on SL.com to see if I missed any and if I did I will make a world chat saying thx to the tips from so and so when I crashed.

See simple answer lol. If a DJ or anyone can't take that lil time to do that then why bother.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 2:28 AM , Blogger Spike Clémenceau-Silent said...

Yeah guys, no one in SL is forced to do anything (unless you're in RLV, but even THAT is consensual to a point) and true tipping is not an obligation, you could even say I'm the cheapest tipper out there, but when I do request I make sure it is followed by a tip and some loving around the room as well, after all people who work in SL are sacrificing their free time to keep me entertained, so I always take that into consideration

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home