My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sexandsecondlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

T.O.S

Has it really been 3 months since I last posted? I guess when I do say I am taking a hiatus, I happen to be serious; a few things in life got complicated and that as always, demanded my attention first and foremost, hopefully I will be back -this time for good- to keep you all informed of my comings and goings in SL, or at least as seen from my perspective.

Of the many things that managed to catch my attention while I was away, the SL facebook community played an important role, largely due to the fact that it was the only mean to keep in touch with my loved ones while I dutifully stayed away from all distractions, so I could get my RL end sorted.

The avatar profiles and entire SL community presence in social platforms, was shunned and considered outcasts at first, -Facebook got smart- but it is safe to say that as things stand now we not only have found our niche and space outside SL, we are surely here to stay. It is not all rosy and blissful though, since SL is known -specially the gay community- for the heavy loaded drama, produced by those either scorned, seeking attention, bored, psychotic or -in worst cases- all of the above.

My interaction with Facebook is very straightforward, I see it and use it as a tool, not as an extension of SL, since it clearly isn't and that is where most people stumble and fall; Second Life and Facebook are two very separate companies, with very different Terms Of Service and regulations concerning their usage, all of them -yes even the small print- we all agree to abide by when we first sign in, and as long as you actively use their services and keep your accounts active you are still on a tacit agreement with them.

That is why I was more than surprised when a number of my facebook contacts -people I haven't even met in SL not even once by the way-, started a witch hunt looking for someone who apparently was going around reporting pictures -which either contained some form of nudity or adult content-, this of course got viral within a few days and people immersed themselves in something that I could only define as a "salem's paranoia", amusing to witness at first but after quickly losing its shine, it became annoying; so I proceeded to remove those I either didn't know, or hadn't spoken to in a big long while.

Since I do not generally get into the habit of writing about things I have no idea about, here is a quick link about Facebook's terms of service, so you can better inform yourself on how to use the service without becoming a target -pay special attention to number 3-

It is time to stop the whinning, the tantrums and the pouting around the corners as if we were 5 year olds because someone reported content we thought we would get away with; you don't like it? start your own page and post your adult content or whatever you so please there, THEN link it to facebook so people who so choose can access it, no one is above the terms of service, just because you are ignorant of them, does not excuse you from failing to follow them, these rules and regulations allow these companies to provide a service that is equal and fair to all users, and if you do not like it, take your business elsewhere.

I haven't had content reported in over 2 years -and I do try and push the limits on what is allowed, I admit it- and the reason behind it is because I do follow the rules that I agreed upon, but then again that's me. By the way the picture has NOTHING to do with the theme, is just me and my friend Cyrus partying; a touch of random for you.

https://www.facebook.com/spikecls

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home