My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sexandsecondlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Second Life addiction, my reply

A close friend fRocky Constantine shares a lot of relevant info and links on facebook, some I find irrelevant, some curious, intriguing and like the one that caused me to write a reply, insulting.
Apparently Tenshi Vielle – founder & former publisher of Shopping Cart Disco -this is way before my time so I have to claim ignorance for not being here- had what I would consider a very very bad experience in second life, which pretty much caused a domino effect on her real life, as she pretty much described it.
Even though I feel for her and everything she went through, pointing fingers at how people use second life is, in my opinion, hardly productive. I do invest my free time on Second life -and a good amount of it-, it has given me much and taken very little; I have had the opportunity to learn how to DJ and be good at it -this is according to people who come to my sets-, it has given me the opportunity to experience parenting -son in the picture-, something I am grateful for every second of both my second life and real life, I have had the joy and privilege of joining the Gay world news staff and being respected for who I am and what I write about -not who I write about or trash about, there’s a nuance right there- as I have learned that words, specially in cyberspace, have weight and importance to many people, and this importance can indeed inflate someone’s ego.
Now sacrificing your real life time, or even your usable employment hours on a virtual platform such as second life, is a crazy notion from the start, unless you are one of the few lucky ones that actually manages to get a grid-wide franchise. I do have a business in-world which generates me some income, but I would never dedicate more than I have to or sacrifice anything from my real life to boost my Second Life -they are very, very separate- that’s simply put, just stupid… and any user with the minimal amount of common sense knows this from the start.
I only speak for myself, but I know that me, like many users have managed to balance both successfully -I work as of today 3 real life jobs and I still find time to juggle Second life-. If one day I can’t log for some reason, because I am too busy or tired, is simply not the end of the world. I find time to socialize in real life, go to concerts, have drinks with friends and yes, tending to your second life family and venues or professional commitments is also possible.
Sorry you had a bad experience Tenshi, but to me statements such as this “Those of you still hanging around Second Life more than 2 hours a day, I would advise you to please consider logging out for a while and doing something else.”, biased and speaking from your own perspective without having contrasted info with others users who do profit from using second life and have a successful real life as well -I can make you a list- is what got you in trouble to begin with
You can read the original article from Tenshi here

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home