My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sexandsecondlife.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Tipjar unity


There are many things in SL that are somewhat sacred for a DJ, their tipjar being one of them, some build them themselves, others go for a fancy one that sends group invites freebies and the likes to the delight of the groupies and patrons that come to listen to you DJ.

Sometimes keeping your beloved tipjar around is not an option as some clubs resort to networked ones to keep lag to a minimum, this being the case of many clubs where a cut or not is discussed previously with the Djs -Most DJs I know and that pride themselves for being good won't go for a cut of their tips, that's unthinkable considering you have to pay for the stream and such-

Well, recently I was offered a partnership with "The Unity Club" and given my previous horrid experience with the last owner I decided to get my feet wet there with a set a week and see how things were functioning now, with the new management and all.

Things went somewhat smoothly for a couple of weeks until the manager Gai thor (he goes for Thordin now) started pushing their personalised tipjars down my throat, in order to -and I quote- "keep an uniform look", when I refused point blank on the last set ever I ever did there, he added he'd look for people who would be team players, when I simply stated that it was me and my tipjar, or no DJ.

There are many reasons why a DJ will refuse to part from their tipjar - make a list of those who won't work if there's not also payment on top of tips involved and then check it twice see how many names you get-, paycut or not and it's smart managing to humour the DJ to a point, specially if it's their traffic bringing business to your venue.

https://www.facebook.com/spikecls

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Vicky Caramel said...

Anyone worth their hire is worth their coin.

If you pay people well, they want to work for you, if you screw them over, they don't. Why is that so hard to understand?

If you are drawing a lot of people to the club and they ONLY tip the DJ, not the venue or the dancers, then that is the fault of the management. You shouldn't be forced to pay for their lack of imagination.

 
At April 25, 2012 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Spike Clémenceau-Silent said...

My point exactly, and I happen to be rather reasonable when it comes to fees, i.e I don't charge a fee on top of tips unless the owner insists on it, but one hoop I surely (or anyone worth a damn) will not jump through is having the previously agreed terms overnight, lots of venues have disappeared because of stunts like that on staff or advertisers (think hard and you'll know which ones I mean)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home